Hello, Gorgeous: Your Guide to Finding the Best Organic Foundation
Given that skin is the body’s largest organ, we can't ignore it. Both a barrier and a sponge, our skin protects us from the elements and germs, but it also absorbs almost everything. That's why paying attention to what goes on it is a must.
Whether you prefer the au naturale look and keep a bare face most days or consider yourself a diehard makeup devotee, one thing is for sure: There's no reason you can't always be a natural beauty. Just as we've become more conscious of what we eat and how it affects our bodies and the well-being of animals and the planet, making smart decisions about our beauty products plays an important part in our overall health.
Given that skin is the body’s largest organ, we can't ignore it. Both a barrier and a sponge, our skin protects us from the elements and germs, but it also absorbs almost everything we put on it. That's why paying attention to what goes on it, including makeup, is a must.
So what's a good way to go when it comes to natural makeup? Two words: Organic foundation.
While many brands — both mainstream and specialty — lay claim to being "natural," labels can be deceiving. Look for the "certified organic" label to ensure that you're getting an all-natural product made with pure, non-toxic, organic ingredients.
Green beauty brands such as 100% Pure, Juice Beauty, Vapour, and Dr. Hauschka have become increasingly popular with formulations that include natural botanicals, moisturizing oils, and fruit and plant pigments. Plus, these natural foundations offer just as much coverage, buildability, and lasting potency as designer brands.
When it comes to foundation, the ingredients that are not in them are just as important as what’s actually them. No need to worry about those long lists of unpronounceable ingredients, artificial preservatives and chemicals such as parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate, aluminum, talc, and synthetic fragrances and dyes.
Free from common chemical irritants and perfumes, organic makeup is typically easier on the skin, especially for sensitive skin types. That said, just because a foundation is organic does not necessarily mean it's vegan. To ensure that it's totally plant-based and cruelty-free, simply look for the certified vegan label or little bunny symbol.
Find Your Foundation
Now that you have a better sense of why an organic beauty routine is a good idea, it's time to decide which of the four main types of foundation is best for you — liquid foundation, cream foundation, powder foundation, or foundation stick. To simplify the process, we've listed each foundation variety with the coverage they provide, plus the skin types that work best for each type along with a few product recommendations.
For example, if you have oily skin, don't slather your face in a rich, creamy full-coverage foundation that will only make you look greasy. Opt for an oil-controlling powder that will give you a velvety, semi-matte finish. Conversely, if you have dry skin, don't press on dry powders that will only sit on the surface and make you look cakey. Try a nourishing liquid or cream foundation that will hydrate your skin and create a dewy finish.
One more thing: Don't underestimate the importance of building a healthy skin foundation before using foundation. It all begins with good nutrition, exercise, plenty of sleep, and proper skincare.
Of course, we can't force you to get your eight hours of sleep every night, but we can recommend Feel Beauty's collection of nourishing and balancing face products that can become part of your daily ritual to let your natural beauty shine through.
- Coverage Level: With so many options that cater to all skin types, liquid foundations can offer a range of coverage, but they are generally considered full coverage makeup with a variety of finishes from dewy to matte.
- Good For: Most skin types can work well with liquid foundation as long as it caters to specific needs. Dry, mature skin is particularly well suited for liquid foundation thanks to the skin-hydrating emollients. Whether you apply it with your fingertips, a makeup sponge, or brush, start with a small amount and then gradually blend it into your skin until you achieve the finish you want.
- Pair With: Our go-to Super Soft Kit includes an exfoliating cleanser and balancing moisturizer to beautifully prep your skin before makeup application, plus a soothing lip balm for the perfect pout.
- Coverage Level: Cream foundations, including multitasking BB creams and tinted moisturizers, are wonderfully blendable and tend to provide medium coverage. Because of their creamy consistency, this type of foundation is nourishing for dry skin types and older skin.
- Good For: Those with drier or mature skin are best suited for cream foundations, which won't settle into fine lines or large pores the way a foundation stick or powder might.
- Pair With: Our luscious Harmony Rose Petal Facial Mask is a super concentrated gel loaded with ultra-nourishing rosehip oil and collagen-plumping vitamins C and E to set up your skin for success.
- Coverage Level: For the most part, powder foundation — including mineral foundation and mineral pigments — offers sheer to medium coverage with a matte finish. However, modern powder formulations offer greater coverage with some that can also be applied with a wet sponge or damp makeup brush.
- Good For: Oily, sensitive, combination, or acne prone skin types typically do well with powder foundation. Unlike liquids or creams, powders have better oil-absorbing properties that are perfect for touching up shiny areas throughout the day.
- Pair With: Our detoxifying Brilliant Bamboo Charcoal Facial Sheet Mask digs deep to pull dirt and oil out of pores while soothing aloe and jojoba seed oil work to give your skin a smooth, satiny finish before and after makeup.
- Coverage Level: With their ultra-easy, travel-friendly, lipstick-style design, foundation sticks are growing in popularity. Because they are concentrated into a stick, these foundations can be quite thick and therefore, not always the most buildable. To avoid looking cakey, be sure to look for smoother formulations and gently blend with a makeup sponge after applying a hydrating serum or moisturizer to skin.
- Good For: Normal and combination skin types can get away with foundation sticks. They're also an ideal choice when you don't want your entire face covered or you're on the go.
- Pair With: Our fast-absorbing Bright Daily Squalane + Facial Oil Blend is a brightening plant-based moisturizer that will give your skin a serious dose of hydration without any greasy feel so your foundation will glide on like silk.
A Flawless Finish
Of course, as with everything in life, moderation is key. We don't expect you to throw away all your beauty products simply because they don't adhere to a strict certified organic code. Rather, by incorporating some clean beauty products into your regular makeup routine, your skin can reap the benefits of natural ingredients.
Starting with an organic foundation is one way to start so that at least you have a natural base on which you can mix-and-match your favorite products. Naturally, don't forget to include the Feel Beauty lineup of face products to help you build the foundation of your skin for a flawless finish that looks as beautiful as you feel.